How Can We Help You?
Frequently asked questions
You can also browse the topics below to find what you are looking for.
To protect your privacy, we will ask you to provide information to identify yourself, which will include the following.
- SelectHealth ID Number
- First and Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Full Address
- Phone Number
- New York Medicaid ID Number
For your protection, we do not allow others to see your information unless you tell us we can share it with them. There are three ways you can tell us to let someone other than you see information about your care and services with SelectHealth.
- Call Your Care Team at 1-866-469-7774 (TTY: 711) with the person you want to have access to your information and give your permission over the phone.
- If you want someone to see all your information, you can ask the Care Team to mail an Authorization for Release of Health Information and Confidential HIV-Related Information form to your home. Then, fill out the form and send it back to us for processing.
- If you want to allow someone to see just some of your information, write a letter saying that you give your permission to that person to speak on your behalf. In addition to your name and Member ID number, tell us their name, their relationship to you, and the sort of information you are allowing them to see. Send this letter to Your Care Team for processing at this address:
Health Plans ‒ Care Team
220 East 42nd Street
New York, NY 10017
Yes, as a SelectHealth member you will need to carry both cards. You will still need your Medicaid Benefit Card for services like non-emergency transportation that are not covered by the plan but are covered by regular Medicaid.
If your home address or other contact information changes, please call us at 1-866-469-7774 (TTY: 711) to update your contact information. If your new address is within our service area (Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau County, or Westchester County), your coverage will not be affected. You will also need to contact your local department of social services so they can update your information:
If you move outside the SelectHealth service area, you may no longer be eligible for our plan and could be disenrolled. In addition to letting us know by calling 1-866-469-7774 (TTY: 711), you will also need to contact your local department of social services so they can coordinate your being moved to a different plan:
We’re sorry, but you cannot keep your SelectHealth coverage. If you become eligible for Medicare, you will automatically be disenrolled from SelectHealth and Medicare will become your primary insurance. If you have any questions about enrollment, please contact your Care Manager.
If your child is under 21 years old and is eligible for Medicaid, they will be able to enroll in SelectHealth.
You are not required to enroll your children in SelectHealth. If you prefer, you may enroll them in a different health plan. We recommend that you talk to your medical providers to discuss what is best for you and your family.
If your spouse or partner qualifies for the plan, they can join SelectHealth. If they don’t meet the eligibility criteria, they will unfortunately not be able to join this plan.
Except in rare, special cases, your primary care and other doctors must be in the SelectHealth network of physicians who are experts in our members’ specialized care.
If you can’t find a network doctor who meets your needs, call the SelectHealth Care Team and we will help you.
Contact the SelectHealth Care Team at 1-866-469-7774 (TTY: 711). If you have already chosen a new doctor, give us the doctor’s name. Once we confirm that the doctor participates with SelectHealth, we’ll send you a new SelectHealth Member ID Card.
If you have not chosen a new doctor, you can find one by using our Provider Search tool or asking a SelectHealth Care Team representative to help you find an in-network Primary Care Physician.
If you’re having trouble getting your medications at the pharmacy, call MedImpact at 1-888-678-7741. They can be reached 24 hours a day.
Yes, in a medical emergency, you can go to any hospital in the United States. You don’t need prior authorization from your doctor or from SelectHealth before getting emergency care in a hospital. Just have the hospital contact SelectHealth as soon as possible after you’re admitted.
Transportation to medical appointments for SelectHealth members is covered by Medicaid.
SelectHealth members arrange transportation through agencies that contract with the New York State Department of Health to manage non-emergency transportation services covered by Medicaid.
See below for non-emergency transportation in your area:
When you call, you will need:
- Your Medicaid ID number (this is the ID listed on your Medicaid card formatted as 2 letters, 5 numbers, 1 letter – like XX12345X).
- The name, address, zip code and telephone number of your medical practitioner.
- The street address and the telephone number where you want to be picked up.
- The date and time of your appointment, any special needs you have and the general reason for the appointment (doctor visit, check-up, eye appointment, etc.).
You, a caregiver, or your provider can arrange for transportation.
The Alliance for Positive Change provides peer educators and a range of services to help New Yorkers with chronic conditions. The Alliance works closely with us to provide new member orientations and support our members in other ways. To learn more about the Alliance, visit their website https://alliance.nyc/ or call them at 212-645-0875.
Steps to a Healthier Life is a program that rewards our members for reaching health goals. Just by being a SelectHealth member, you’re eligible to earn rewards. It’s our way of encouraging you to make healthy choices, supporting you in your efforts to reach your goals, and rewarding your efforts every step of the way. Some things you can be rewarded for include:
- Seeing your doctor regularly
- Keeping your prescriptions filled
- Completing cancer screening, eye exams, and other health screenings.
To start earning points, complete the self-assessment form, “About Me and My Health.” This will let us know how the program can best work for you—and you’ll earn rewards just for completing the form and sending it in!
You can download a copy of the form here or call your SelectHealth Care Team to have a form mailed to you.
For more information about Steps to a Healthier Life, go here.